Welcome to the Bexar County Adult Volunteer Resources page. We are grateful to all our volunteers for their time and knowledge they dedicate to our program. The following resources are here to help you in the organization, running, and management of your 4-H Club. Please do not hesitate to call our office at (210) 631-0400 with any questions you may have!
Your role as an adult volunteer is to provide a safe and educational environment for kids to get the most out of their 4-H experience. Please go over the 2017-2018 Texas 4-H Rules and Guidelines to make sure your club is in compliance with all the rules and guidelines as stated by 4-H Inc. The following topics and accompanying literature below will help ensure that your club is in compliance with Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service & 4-H Inc. standards.
YOUTH PROTECTION STANDARDS: 4-H volunteers will be assessed a volunteer application fee in the amount of $5. This fee will be assessed annually when a 4-H volunteer creates or reactivates his/her profile in 4-H CONNECT. The application fee will cover the cost of insurance coverage, volunteer screening and expedite the screening process when paid by credit card.
INSURANCE FOR 4-H MEMBERS/VOLUNTEERS:
- 4-H Inc. provides a General Liability policy for all enrolled 4-H members/volunteers that are enrolled in chartered 4-H clubs.
- 4-H Inc. provides an Accidental/Medical policy for all enrolled 4-H members/volunteers that are enrolled in chartered 4-H clubs.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT PRACTICES: All 4-H clubs MUST follow the 4-H Club Financial Management Rules & Guidelines for all financial transactions. Below are a list of resources to help your club comply:
- 4-H Club Financial Management Rules & Guidelines Handbook
- Transmittal Form — This form should be used each time someone in your club hands in money or collects money.
- Budget — Part of sound financial management is a good plan. Every activity where money is used should include a budget developed and approved ahead of time.
- Check Request — If someone needs a check from the 4-H club or the County 4-H Council, this check request form should be used.
- Annual Club/Group Financial Report Form — A financial review will be a mandatory part of the Texas 4-H Club Chartering Process and will be required as an upload on 4-H Connect.
- All clubs/organizations and counties must have a set of by-laws that include provisions for receiving and disbursing funds and the dissolution of club/organization assets if the club/organization disbands. All assets, fiscal and property, go to the county 4-H Program. An example of an approved dissolution clause is stated here:
- “Upon the disbandment of the club, all real property, including money, equipment and land, shall become the property of the County 4-H Program for care and disposition. The last official duty of the club’s manager shall be to effect the transfer of club property and to turn over club records to the county Extension agent.”
GUIDELINES REGARDING MEMBERSHIP:
- Please utilize the official Texas 4-H Rules & Guidelines Handbook for more information regarding membership: PDF
- A 4-H Member must be…
- Any child, Age 8 and in the 3rd grade to 12 grade.
- Enrolled on our 4-H Connect Online system. Video: Creating a Family Profile
- A child is not a member of Texas 4-H until they have an ACTIVE status listed on your profile in 4-H CONNECT
- A child CANNOT register for an event/contest until the member profile is ACTIVE.
- A 4-H Volunteer must be…
- Adult Volunteers are required to pay $5 annually through the 4-H connect system in order to be screened through the Texas 4-H Youth Protection Standards program every three years. Volunteers do not receive ACTIVE status until screening is complete. PDF Guide to Enrolling NEW Adult / PDF Guide to Enrolling RETURNING Adult
- Adult Volunteers are non members of Texas 4-H until they have an ACTIVE status listed on your profile in 4-H CONNECT.
- Adults CANNOT register for an event until the member profile is ACTIVE.
- Enrollment on 4-H begins on August 31, 2015 – PDF Guide to Enrolling NEW Youth / PDF Guide to Enrolling RETURNING Youth
- Participation Fee for Youth: $20 between Aug. 31 – Oct. 31; $25 AFTER Nov. 1st.
- Club Manager’s will have access to their own 4-H Club in 4-H Connect. You may utilize this feature in order to obtain a roster of registered members in your club, see who has an ACTIVE/PENDING status for both youth and adult volunteers, and access contact information. — PDF Guide on 4-H Club Login on 4-H Connect
CLUB MANAGEMENT RESOURCES: The following resources are intended for club officers and club managers to gather ideas, management information, ceremonies, inspirations, program ideas, and other great club meeting resources.
- **CLUB MANAGER REPORT FORM** — Should be completed after each club meeting and submitted to our office by the 25th of each month.
- Newcomer’s Handbook — Useful handbook for brand new families learning about 4-H.
- 4-H Management Guide — Handbook on all aspects of club management.
- State Volunteer Resources — Collection of trainings, management documents, and meeting inspirations.
GRIEVANCES & COMPLAINTS: Volunteers have the right to express grievances, concerns or dissatisfaction with their local Bexar County 4-H program or operations and to have grievances dealt with in an efficient, equitable and fair manner. Refer to the Bexar County 4-H Grievance Policy for details of the procedure by which grievances are reported and managed.
- Bexar County 4-H Grievance Policy — Policy and procedure on how to resolve disputes and file a report should rules/guidelines be violated.
- Bexar County 4-H Grievance Report Form — Report forms are filed with the County Extension Office and addressed to the 4-H County Extension Agent.
POLICY ON LATE ENTRIES: The Bexar County 4-H program strives to provide a fair and honorable system which allows all children the equal opportunity to participate in our programs. We instate and enforce deadlines in order to provide each child the same amount of time to complete his/her paperwork, and help our Bexar County 4-H office run efficiently. Please be sure that families are aware that there are NO EXCEPTIONS for late entries by our office. Deadlines can be found on our 4-H Calender page, 4-H Events & Contests Page, weekly Club Manager E-Mails, and our Monthly 4-H Membership E-mails.