Today’s educators are charged with the awesome responsibility of educating young people in this fast moving and ever changing world. Texas 4-H, the youth development component of Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, provides assistance through quality curriculum and educational resources. Texas 4-H offers a variety of enrichment curriculum programs which can be used to enhance a wide range of subjects. The majority of materials have been aligned with and support the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
A hands-on, interactive educator in-service training session is available for all curriculum and may be scheduled on site by contacting Mike Shockey, Youth Outreach Educator at (210) 467-6575 ext 225 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yea 4H! After-School Learning Adventure
- Take A Stand! Against Bullying
- Health Rocks! (Healthy Living Program for Youth 8-16 )
- Keys to the Courthouse (Understanding County Government)
- Patriotism through Preparedness (Helping Families Prepare for Disasters)
Bexar County 4-H usually offers several special program opportunities each year. These are learning and leadership opportunities for both 4-H members and non 4-H members. Watch our newsletter and this web site for descriptions of programs as they are scheduled. Some of our most popular events are:
- 2013 “FUNtastic” Adventure Camp: Time: 8:30am. Admission: $35. Box office: 210.467.6575 Ext. 225. Address: 3355 Cherry Ridge Dr. Suite 208. Venue phone: 210-467-6575. A fun-filled two-day (June 26-27 & Aug 20-21) camp of with interactive, hands-on individual and group activities/presentations, field trips and take-home package of materials. Each camp is limited to 20 students. Sign up now!
- Bexar County 4-H Photography Contest: The Bexar County Photography Contest is open to all 4-Hers. the contest is FREE to enter and the photos do not have to be mounted or enlarged. There are fourteen different categories for both color and black & white photos.
- Bexar County 4-H Roundup: 4-Hers practice public speaking and education presentation skills during this formal Public Speaking Contest. Members can enter as individuals or as a team in a number of categories. They can use posters, slides or power point presentations. Youth may also enter t he ” Share the Fun” part of this event by showcasing their many and varied talents.
- 4-H Project Show: The 4-H Project Show is open to all Bexar County youth ages 6-19. They have the opportunity to be recognized for hands-on project work as diverse as: art, quilting, cooking, canning, insect collections, woodwork, home crafts, photography and more. See our calendar and Project Show page for more details on this spring event.
- One Day 4-H: One day 4-H is one day for all the 4-H members, parents, leaders, and volunteers to step out into their communities and county and say “thank you” by giving back for them more than 103 years of support to 4-H in Texas. This day of community service is what ever each 4-H members, club, or county 4-H Program wants it to be. It could be as simple as picking up trash and mowing the lawn for senior citizens to elaborate as hosting a 5K Walk/Run and raising money for a cause.