TEXAS COOPERATIVE EXTENSION
BY DAVID RODRIGUEZ
May 6, 2006
- This is the month for pecan casebearer. Around May 10, apply Malathion to reduce casebearer damage to your pecans.
- Firebush for full sun and firespike for shade are two of the best hummingbird plants.
- Hibiscus, cigar plant and firebush on the patio will bring hummingbirds in close for
- Do not transplant vincas (periwinkles) until June. That is the best time to properly get them established.
- Lilac-flowered ‘Golden Dewdrop’ Duranta: The 2006 State Texas SuperStar Plant. Try it in your landscape. A great butterfly and hummingbird plant for sun or shade.
- Looking for a Mother’s Day gift? Consider, Belinda’s Dream Rose. It is a beautiful pink double blooming landscape rose that is fragrant and also attractive.
David Rodriguez is County Extension Agent-Horticulture with Texas Cooperative Extension in Bexar County. For more information, call the Master Gardener “Hotline” (210) 467-6575 or visit our County Extension website at http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu