TEXAS COOPERATIVE EXTENSION
BEXAR COUNTY BY DAVID RODRIGUEZ
May 5, 2007
- Don’t plant vinca until at least June 1 because they are susceptible to a disease called Aerial Phytoptera.
- This is the month for pecan case bearer. On or about May 10, apply Malathion or Spinosad to reduce case bearer damage to your pecans.
- If you collected bluebonnet seeds, hold them in paper bags until fall.
- This is not a good month to prune oak trees. The oak wilt fungal spores and sap beetle carriers are active. If you must prune, be sure to paint with a latex-based paint immediately after cutting.
- If you’re starting a new Bermuda grass lawn, use 2-3 lbs. of seed per 1,000 sq. ft. on well-prepared soil and water twice a day. It will be up in 3-6 days and need mowing in about 3 weeks.
David Rodriguez is County Extension Agent-Horticulture with Texas Cooperative Extension in Bexar County. For more information, call the Master Gardener “Hotline” (210) 467-6575 or visit our County Extension website at http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu.