TEXAS COOPERATIVE EXTENSION
BY DAVID RODRIGUEZ
June 3, 2006
- This is the ideal time to plant Vinca (periwinkle) for summer time color. Do not water plants from overhead. Mulch with an organic hardwood or cedar mulch.
- Keep a good eye on all your watering needs. Water properly and conserve where it is appropriate.
- Proper watering and mulching with organic mulch is the best answer in conserving water during this drought.
- If plants and the lawn look a pale yellow, supplement with a chelated iron to help green up those plants.
- For a hot summer color plant consider planting ‘Moy’ Grande Hibiscus. It is probably the largest flowering plant that you will ever see.
David Rodriguez is County Extension Agent-Horticulture with Texas Cooperative Extension in Bexar County. For more information, call the Master Gardener “Hotline” (210) 467-6575 or visit our County Extension website at https://bexar-tx.tamu.edu