Spring Break Nature Camp
2020 Dates TBD
Entomology Camp – ages 7-12
June 24-26, 2020 – Clearwater Ranch, Leon Springs, 9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
July 8-10, 2020 – Hardberger Park, Urban Ecology Classroom, 9:00 a.m. – 1:30p.m.
July 27-29, 2020 – Hardberger Park, Urban Ecology Classroom, 9am-1;30pm *this camp will have an additional wildlife focus
Campers will collect insects, assemble collection, perform experiments and activities with insects, learn how to identify insects, learn their importance and get the chance to see and hold lots of live bugs! If your child likes insects or nature, they will get their fill!
Campers receive an insect collection kit (net, forceps, killing jar, pins, spreading boards, magnifier, booklet, pens, collection box, vials, and collecting bag). Come join us for the fun!
- $125 for new campers
- $100 for returning campers to receive a new kit, but not a net net or bag
* These camps are geared through years of design to be best for ages 7-12. If you have a younger camper, please consider our Junior Entomology Camp for ages 4-6. For older campers, contact camp organizer, Molly Keck at email@example.com.
Junior Entomology Camp – ages 4-6
June 23-24, 2020 – Bexar County Extension Office (3355 Cherry Ridge, Ste. 208, San Antonio)
Session 1 – 9:00am-11:30am
Session 2 – 12:30pm-3:00pm
Join us for a buggin’ good time! Ages 4-6 who have an interest in science, nature, and especially insects welcome! This camp is geared for ages 4-6, with many activities, short lessons and lots of hands on experiences.
We will collect insects, learn about the importance of insects in our world, perform experiments and activities with insects such as:
- Digging through a rotting log to find recyclers
- Using soldier fly larvae or earthworms to make artwork
- Learning and watching real honeybees behind class
- Holding tarantulas
- Many more arts and crafts we can squeeze into our 6 hours together
PLEASE REGISTER USING THE CAMPER’S NAME, NOT THE PARENT’S NAME
Summer Entomology Camps!
Campers get the chance to learn all about entomology and become junior entomologists. We will perform experiments and activities with insects, get to hold tarantulas, roaches, millipedes and more. Campers will also collect insects and put together an insect collection. Campers will receive a student collection kit, complete with professional net, all the materials needed to collect and pin insects, a collection bag, and collection box. For more information, contact Molly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 210/631-0400. Camps always fill up fast with a long waiting list, so be sure to get registered as soon as registration information is posted!
School & Youth Group Presentations:
If you are an educator and would like someone to speak to your school about insects, please let us know. Texas A&M AgriLife Extension has a group of wonderful volunteers who will come out to your location and give a 30-45 minute lesson on entomology, complete with live insects, props, and an insect collection.
- AgriLife Extension can work with you to set up a presentation. We request that presentations do not start earlier than 9:00 a.m., for grades 1st and up. We prefer no more than 30 1st & 2nd graders and no more than 60 3rd -5th graders per session.
- Please contact Molly at 210/631-0400 or email@example.com to schedule something.
Curriculum for Teachers/Educators & Students
Teacher Booklets Student Booklets
Get involved in 4-H Entomology! Practices will be located at the Bexar County Extension Office, 3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 208. For more information about 4-H Entomology contests or how to enroll, contact Molly at firstname.lastname@example.org.