Summer Entomology Camps!
Campers get the change to learn all about entomology and become junior entomologists. We will perform experiments and activities with insects, get to hold tarantulas, roaches, millipedes and more. Campers will also collect insects and put together an insect collection. Campers will receive a student collection kit, complete with professional net, all the materials needed to collect and pin insects, a collection bag, and collection box. For more information, contact Molly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 210/631-0400. Camps always fill up fast with a long waiting list, so be sure to get registered as soon as registration information is posted!
2018 camp dates & locations have been set!
* ENTOMOLOGY CAMPS:
July 11-13, 9am-2pm, Hardberger Park NW Military side
July 16-18 , 9am-2pm, Hardberger Park NW Military side
July 24-26, 9am-2pm, Leon Springs
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension’s Entomologist, Molly Keck, is hosting the 9th annual summer camp for junior entomologists. Camp will be indoors for all locations, with collecting and some activities outdoors.
Campers will collect insects, assemble collection, perform experiments and activities with insects, learn how to identify insects, learn their importance and get the chance to see and hold lots of live bugs! If your child likes insects or nature, they will get their fill!
Campers receive an insect collection kit (net, forceps, killing jar, pins, spreading boards, magnifier, booklet, pens, collection box, vials, and collecting bag). Come join us for the fun!
Returning campers that have their old materials have two options:
- In need of a new kit – $100 (forceps, killing jar, pins, spreading boards, magnifier, booklet, pens, collection box), but have collection bag and net
- Doesn’t need kit materials (has materials from collection kit, net & collection bag) – $75 (will provide more killing solution, pins and vials)
Registration for these camps is online.
* These camps are geared through years of design to be best for ages 7-12. If you have a younger camper, please consider our Junior Entomology Camp for ages 4-6. For older campers, contact camp organizer, Molly Keck.
** JUNIOR ENTOMOLOGY CAMP:
July 30-31, 9am-12pm – Bexar County A&M AgriLife Extension Office, 3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 208
Join us for a buggin’ good time! Ages 4-6 who have an interest in science, nature, and especially insects, welcome! We will collect insects, learn about the importance of insects in our world, perform experiments and activities with insects such as:
– Digging through a rotting log to find recyclers
– Using soldier fly larvae or earthworms to make artwork
– Learning and watching real honeybees behind class
– Holding tarantulas
– Many more arts and crafts we can squeeze into our 6 hours together
** This camp is geared for ages 4-6, with many activities, short lessons, and lots of hands on experiences. Join us for our 5th Annual Junior Entomology Camp!
Cost of the Junior Entomology Camp is $40, and registration is online.
School & Youth Group Presentations:
If you are an educator and would like someone to speak to your school about insects, please let us know. Texas A&M AgriLife Extension has a group of wonderful volunteers who will come out to your location and give a 30-45 minute lesson on entomology, complete with live insects, props, and an insect collection.
- AgriLife Extension can work with you to set up a presentation. We request that presentations do not start earlier than 9:00 a.m., for grades 1st and up. We prefer no more than 30 1st & 2nd graders and no more than 60 3rd -5th graders per session.
- Please contact Molly at 210/631-0400 or email@example.com to schedule something.
Get involved in 4-H Entomology! Practices will be located at the Bexar County Extension Office, 3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 208. For more information about 4-H Entomology contests or how to enroll, contact Molly at firstname.lastname@example.org.